Thursday, December 16, 2010

What do I do with Mourning

I heard some terribly tragic news last night that is affecting many young people that I spend time with.  A young person took their own life.
What do you do? What do you say?
Sometimes mere words can never express the desire that I have that this friend would be hopeful and here with family and friends celebrating Christmas.
This is not the reality and they need to mourn, to grieve and let God heal them.

What's my job?  To be!

To be  - a shoulder to cry on.
          - someone who will just listen and not give advice.
          - to pray with hopeful expectation, knowing that God
            works all things out for good.
          - to love; and let them know they are not alone.
          
...weeping may remain for a night,
  but rejoicing comes in the morning.  Psalm 30:5 

...to comfort all who mourn,
  and provide for those who grieve in Zion-
to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
  the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  Isaiah 61:2-3

Daddy, please show me what my young friends need from me.  Please give family and friends of this young person your peace as they mourn.  Give them the ability to let it all go and grieve properly.  I pray that they would not become bitter and angry, but that they would find your peace that surpasses understanding.  May they be surrounded by people that can comfort them in the way they need....help us to be your hands and feet.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jen, this is so sad! I am agreeing with you in prayer. If this is a young person you think I may have known, please email me. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete