Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Traditions

I am really excited that Lent has begun, not all churches celebrate Lent...but I grew I in the Catholic church, which is rich with traditions, and this is one I continue to observe.

What is Lent? It is the 40 days prior to Easter, when followers can take some
intentional time of repentance and seeking God.
A time for preparing to remember His death and celebrate His resurrection.
Today is Shrove Tuesday, a day of feasting, my son will enjoy a pancake lunch at school
as they kick off the Lent season together as a community in the Catholic school he attends. 
Often this type of meal is eaten today, because many will fast from eating
many rich things over Lent.  Some earthly pleasures will be set aside so that we
can dig deeper into relationship our with God.
Our time of reflection will begin tomorrow with Ash Wednesday.
Will I fast? Yes. What will I focus on....the names of Jesus.  I hope you will join me!

Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
  I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the
   traditions just as I passed them on to you.
1Corinthians 11:1-2

Thank you Daddy for traditions, things that help foster an attitude of repentance and rememberance.  Please help me to prepare my heart for the lent season.
Show me what I need to repent of, and help me to change.
Thank you for sending Jesus for me, may my life be a good example,
one that makes people want to know you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment