Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Context

This is what the LORD says:

Stand at the crossroads and look;
  ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
  and you will find rest for your souls.
Jeremiah 6:16

Sounds like an amazing bible promise!  I agree!
I left out one small part of the verse, because I think that sometimes that's what we do.
We find out something we like to hear in the bible and use the part that appeals to us.
I have learned to be cautious with this practice.
The very last part of this verse says:

But you said, "We will not listen."

I believe it is a warning.
God's people said, "We will not listen".
Will I be the same??? Do I want the promises and not the warnings???
This verse requires action on our part....."ask"...."walk in it".
Am I willing to walk out what God has shown me to do???
When He asks me to hang out with people less and invest in my family?
When He asks me to shut my mouth and honor my husband?
When He asks me to be quick to apologize, quick to forgive?

God, I want to live a life that honors you!
I want to live a simple life of holiness and obedience.
Your Word says that I should be holy, because You are holy.
Please show me where I need to change, and grant me the grace to do what You ask of me.
Thank you that I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength.

1 comment: